By: Liz Anderson, Director of Engagement
The Beeck Center was busy this summer participating in events, expanding our network, and building new relationships across sectors. Our engagements continued to focus around our work on government innovation, impact investing, and civic engagement. In our government innovation work, we expanded our reach from domestic to international on how government can be more innovative in paying for outcomes. On impact investing, we participated in several events with companies and organizations on how to investing in enterprises that have financial returns and deliver on social impact. To better engage people, we ran a lab for Doha Goals to engage diverse communities (athletes, sports marketing experts, and others) on designing for social impact through sports. More than anything, the summer has reaffirmed our focus on the importance of creating frameworks and providing tools for companies, philanthropy, citizens and governments on how to have exponential social impact.
Here are a few highlights from our Summer…
Chivas – The Venture Pitch Competition – San Francisco, CA, July 23-24, 2015
Sonal Shah, our executive director, along with Adrian Grenier from Entourage served as a judges for the $1 million prize competition for social enterprises from around the world held by Chivas. Chivas launched a global competition, The Venture, to inspire a new generation of entrepreneurs focused on both a social and financial bottom line. The competition also provided access to tools and mentorship to help the social enterprises accelerate their growth. Read Sonal’s article about how to succeed here.
Doha GOALS: Sports + Design Thinking Workshop – Los Angeles, CA, July 27, 2015
The Beeck Center along with Nadia Roumani from the Stanford d.School hosted an interactive workshop, Sports and Social Entrepreneurship, on the intersection between sports and design thinking at the Doha GOALS conference. The session included businesses, athletes and experts on social impact through sports at the Doha Goals annual forum. Doha Goals is an annual forum that brings global leaders in sports together with stakeholders to create partnerships and initiatives. This year, the forum’s 4th annual forum was held in conjunction with the Special Olympics World Games in Los Angeles, CA. It was a very special opportunity to participate in the opening ceremonies of the Special Olympics and watch the games.
Other Events this Summer
- NEPC‘s 20th Annual Investor Conference, Boston, MA: Our Executive Director, Sonal Shah, presented at the NEPC annual conference on impact investing and alternative investment strategies. She talked about “How Markets Have the Power to Transform the Social Sector”. NEPC is an investment consulting firm serving over 300 retainer clients with total assets over $850 billion.
- Impact Ontario Conference, Ontario, Canada: Sonal gave the keynote presentation at the annual conference on impact investing. Impact Ontario Conference aims to educate investors and share practical experiences about impact investing.
- Society for International Development Annual Conference, Washington, DC: Sonal moderated a panel on how traditional development assistance can be re-designed to better catalyze private investments around social and business development goals.
- Abt Innovation Expo, Bethesda, MD: Sonal delivered the keynote titled Key Trends Transforming the Global Social Sector and moderated panel about ensuring the effectiveness of public private partnerships. Abt Associates is an international consulting firm working with governments, businesses, and private organizations helping them make better decisions and deliver better products and services by providing them quality research, technical assistance, and consulting services.
- Advanced Inter-American Program on Policy innovation and Management, Georgetown University, Washington, DC: Marta Urquilla, Deputy Director, presented to officials from the Organization of American States (OAS) about best practices in social innovation, public and private partnerships, and evidence based policy. Government and business officials were interested in the Beeck Center’s research and guidance on how to implement new policies for greater social impact.
- Capital One Conference, Tyson, VA: At their senior leadership meeting for Capital One, Sonal provided the keynote speech titled Aligning business with purpose (June 30).
- The Bridge Conference, National Harbor, Ft. Washington, MD: At the annual conference for fundraising professional Sonal delivered the keynote presentation on “disruptions in the social sector and opportunities for new models of giving”. The Bridge conference is the annual conference for the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Washington DC Metro Area Chapter and the Direct Marketing Association of Washington, as well as those of the Educational Co-Hosts.