Job Posting: Senior Fellow, Infrastructure for Opportunity
The Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation is establishing a new portfolio focused on the core building blocks needed to operate and govern our institutions with a goal for better outcomes in society. We’re talking about the wholescale systems change needed to reimagine how our institutions serve people in a way that puts them first and rebuilds trust. This “infrastructure for opportunity” might take the shape of policies, practices, software, service design, analytics, and/or culture change and would focus on sectors that reach the overlooked, underestimated, marginalized, and vulnerable members of society such as those receiving public benefits or navigating the foster care system. We are recruiting a senior fellow with a strong point of view about what a future state for our social infrastructure should look like and how we can work with a broad ecosystem of stakeholders to design that future and work toward it together.
The Beeck Center strongly encourages all people to apply (please circulate widely), especially those who hold the following intersecting identities: Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, poor or working class, persons living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, undocumented, speak English as a second language, and others with lived experience in overlooked and/or underestimated communities.
If you have any questions about this position’s objectives, requirements, and/or language used in this job description, please email Vandhana Ravi at email@example.com.
What we do. When our institutions are effective, we trust that they will support our communities, especially when people need them most. We reimagine and design systems using cutting-edge tools and practices. Our team focuses on solving hard problems. We work on practical solutions like helping the foster care system better match children with people they already know and love, using technology tools to change how Congress interacts with its constituents, and making it easier for families to apply for public benefits like SNAP, housing assistance, and unemployment insurance. We also help policy makers use data and analytics for more effective and evidence-based policies, using human-centered principles to ensure the systems are designed to keep people at the forefront.
Who we are. Situated at Georgetown University, we are a team of experts with experience in data science, analytics, software development, human-centered design, and policy. We come from executive roles in the tech sector, all levels of government, non-governmental organizations, and academia. Our graduate and undergrad students learn practical skills by working with us.
How we do it. We identify problem-solvers who are addressing global challenges, document their approaches, and build action-oriented networks so we can support one another as we implement and share what works at scale.
Role + Responsibilities
The Senior Fellow will report to Cori Zarek and, along with a team of fellows, students, and staff, will set and execute the vision for the Infrastructure for Opportunity portfolio. The Senior Fellow will directly oversee a Project Manager who will manage the day-to-day activities of the portfolio, and will work with fellows and students to carry out the portfolio’s vision.
The Senior Fellow will be responsible for:
- Setting a bold, audacious vision for a reimagined approach to how our institutions use tools including service design, open-source software, data analytics, digital technologies, and other innovative methods to serve the public, including through specific projects such as access to and administration of safety net benefits, administration of child welfare systems, and addressing systemic racism in the finance industry
- Setting strategy to achieve the impact laid out in the above vision
- Coordinating with stakeholders including government leaders, non-governmental organizations, other academic institutions, funders, and others
- Setting up internal structures to better execute the work in an efficient and effective manner
- Serving as the portfolio leader for the project manager, fellows, and students within the Beeck Center’s Infrastructure for Opportunity portfolio, with management support provided by the Beeck Center staff
- Leading project selection and staffing
- Working with the communications team to direct creation and dissemination of portfolio content
- Supporting grant proposals, reporting, and philanthropic relationships
- Anticipating and managing risks, including methodological and ethical risks and organizational and logistical challenges
- Communicating with key Beeck Center staff around updates, coordination points, and reporting expectations
- General coordination and collaboration with the Beeck Center staff and within Georgetown University’s Initiative on Tech & Society
The following qualifications are required:
- At least 15 years of experience with some of that in government or the public interest sector designing or managing complex systems at the intersection of digital technologies, government services, and institutional change
- Expertise with policymaking and implementing government policies
- Experience with digital transformation and digital service delivery
- Understanding of the government budgeting process
- Extensive speaking, publishing, and presentation history, including a proven ability to serve as a spokesperson for your work
- Extensive professional network of policymakers and stakeholders inside and outside of government at the federal, state, and local levels
- Experience working with and/or lived experience in working with the overlooked, underestimated, marginalized, and vulnerable members of society (such as those receiving public benefits or navigating the foster care system)
In addition, the following qualifications are desirable:
- Experience with grant proposals, grants management, and the philanthropic landscape, including having served as a principal investigator for a grant
- Senior executive experience in government
- Familiarity with legal and political processes involving public service delivery and/or public benefits
- Background in human-centered design or user research
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Senior Fellow role is a full-time, one-year appointment at Georgetown University. The salary band for this fellowship is $140,000-$170,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits. The fellowship period is for 12 months from the start date, which is expected to be in December 2020. There is no guarantee of continued employment beyond the one-year appointment.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
The Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation at Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.