Job Posting: Storyteller-in-Residence
The Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation is expanding our communications capacity for projects in our Data + Digital portfolio to increase storytelling and deliver our message to stakeholders, media outlets, and decision-makers.
The Beeck Center strongly encourages all people to apply (please circulate widely), especially those who hold the following intersecting identities: Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, poor or working class, persons living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, undocumented, speak English as a second language, and others with lived experience in overlooked and/or underestimated communities.
If you have any questions about this position’s objectives, requirements, and/or language used in this job description, please email Vandhana Ravi at email@example.com.
What we do. When our institutions are effective, we trust that they will support our communities, especially when people need them most. We reimagine and design systems using cutting-edge tools and practices. Our team focuses on solving hard problems. We work on practical solutions like helping the foster care system better match children with people they already know and love, using technology tools to change how Congress interacts with its constituents, and making it easier for families to apply for public benefits like SNAP, housing assistance, and unemployment insurance. We also help policy makers use data and analytics for more effective and evidence-based policies, using human-centered principles to ensure the systems are designed to keep people at the forefront.
Who we are. Situated at Georgetown University, we are a team of experts with experience in data science, analytics, software development, human-centered design, and policy. We come from executive roles in the tech sector, all levels of government, non-governmental organizations, and academia. Our graduate and undergrad students learn practical skills by working with us.
How we do it. We identify problem-solvers who are addressing global challenges, document their approaches, and build action-oriented networks so we can support one another as we implement and share what works at scale.
Role + Responsibilities
This role might be right for you if you have a background in journalism and communications and love to ask questions and shape narratives to tell compelling stories. This position is based at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., but we are a remote-friendly team and are open to applicants based across the U.S. (you must be U.S. based for this role).
The Storyteller-in-Residence will report to Cori Zarek, Director of the Data+Digital portfolio and will work with other staff, fellows, researchers, students, and project teams. With a number of projects in the D+D portfolio, we need a communications expert who can help in the following areas:
- Identify strong stories about our work from a more human-centric perspective, showcasing the people being helped and affected by our work and improved outcomes overall
- Collect compelling stories and build a storybank around our fellows and projects
- Help our fellows and team begin to identify and share compelling stories as they approach their research and project work
- Content creation, publication, and management (50%)
- Draft, develop, and create original content to tell the story of our projects, either individually or in partnership with Beeck fellows. This may include reports, blogs, op-eds, articles, or traditional written content; video or audio features; presentations or demonstrations; or website content.
- Support fellows and students as they draft and develop content
- Guide publishing, marketing, and rollout of major reports and research products
- Coordinate with the Center’s communications team to support pitching for earned media and placements for op-eds, contributor content, or other published content
- Coordinate with the Center’s communications team on social media content
- Identify platforms for content distribution and manage those relationships and processes in partnership with the Center’s communications team
Messaging and marketing (10%)
- Develop stronger messaging to help unite our work and showcase the value that we’re uniquely bringing, along with the emergent impact that we’re making
- Create strategies to reach stakeholders and decision-makers including non-governmental organizations, governments, philanthropic foundations, other academic centers, and the public
- Identify and cultivate relationships with influencers to target for messaging amplification
Strategic planning (10%)
- Collaborate with portfolios, project teams, and the Beeck Center communications team to set influence goals and communications strategies
- Create and manage timelines for communications deliverables
- Developing metrics and analytics to set goals about our reach, influence, and ability to transform lives
Candidates for this position must have:
- At least 8 years public communications experience, with some of that time in public interest, government service, and/or academia
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills including editorial and copywriting
- Extensive publication history
- Creative mindset with an ability to go beyond surface facts to paint an engaging picture
- High level of empathy and emotional intelligence
- Enthusiasm to support governments as they aim to better serve people
- Ability to work independently/with minimal supervision to meet deadlines and produce high-quality results in an environment with competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong experience in planning and managing complex projects, and establishing and maintaining effective collaborative relationships with individuals and organizations across functional units
- Enthusiasm and willingness to work in a university environment and leverage its strengths to support public service
Ideal candidates for this position will also have:
- Video editing experience
- Visual design skills
- Adobe Creative Suite experience
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Content Strategist is a full-time, one-year term. The salary band for this position is $80,000-$100,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits. The employment period for this role is 12 months from the start date, which is expected to be in December 2020. Depending upon future project resourcing, this role may be extended beyond the initial one-year appointment; however, there is no guarantee for employment beyond the one-year term.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
The Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation at Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.