The Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation at Georgetown University is expanding our communications team to include dedicated digital communications and marketing to support our storytelling and day-to-day communication activity. The Digital Communications + Marketing Manager will join to enhance the Center’s mission to improve systems that are the foundation for daily life, using data, design, technology, and policy as instruments for equitable societal change. We are looking for a dynamic, innovative and collaborative go-getter who will integrate a digital-first approach into our communications operations. The Digital Communications + Marketing Manager is a core hire to support our brand, articulate our work, and advance our mission.
This role might be right for you if you have a background in marketing, communications, social media, or journalism. You love to develop a brand’s voice, creatively polish content for publication, and plan social media campaigns to support communications strategy. You know how to ask questions, translate content for a wide audience, craft headline messages, and tell compelling stories.
The Digital Communications + Marketing Manager will report to Shannon Felton Spence, Director of Communications + Marketing and work with our storyteller-in-residence, fellows, students, and staff teams. The Manager will play a critical role in our communication, publication, and outreach capacity by driving brand performance. This role will be responsible for several key goals including creating and driving a digital strategy that optimizes our online presence, creating appealing digital content, leveraging social media to drive engagement of our key audiences through our ideas and content, and supporting our ability to integrate strategic communications across all verticals of our work.
The Beeck Center operates as a distributed team, with some team members working remotely and others working in person in our Washington, D.C. offices. A distributed team means there will be heavy reliance on asynchronous communication channels such as Slack, Asana, and email while also having many meetings fully virtual or hybrid to include remote employees, using Zoom.
This position has been designated as in-person. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position’s mode of work designation. Complete details about Georgetown University’s work designations for staff and AAP positions can be found on the Department of Human Resources website: https://hr.georgetown.edu/mode-of-work-designation.
With the in-person designation, this role will be expected to work from the Beeck Center’s two office spaces in Washington, D.C.: one on Georgetown University’s Main Campus and a second downtown on Georgetown’s Capitol Campus. We prioritize spending time in person with our student analysts for collaboration and career development as well as building relations across the various other centers on campus.
Digital Communications & Marketing Planning – 40%
- Work closely with the Director of Communications + Marketing to develop and implement the Beeck Center’s digital campaigns.
- Oversee the day-to-day functioning of the center’s digital properties including email communications, social media properties, website, and any other online communications.
- Design innovative campaigns to articulate the Beeck Center’s approach and products.
- Participate in organizational and department goal setting and track progress towards goals for engagement and growth.
- Update content on the Beeck Center website.
- Manage the Beeck Center’s email lists.
Digital Content Curation– 40%
- Guide the Beeck Center’s production design, creation of supplemental material, and publication timelines in accordance with the Editorial Calendar
- Create and repurpose digestible and accessible content, and work with staff to maintain an editorial and content calendar.
- Maintain press clippings and coverage reports of the Beeck Center, fellows, and wider public interest technology space.
- Grow the Beeck Center’s digital followers, assist in marketing Beeck Center products, manage analytics and metrics, and establish and control a consistent digital voice for the Beeck Center.
- Manage the Beeck Center’s digital tools and provide trainings for internal users.
- Create and aggregate content to distribute across digital properties.
Internal Communications – 10 %
- Establish an internal communications strategy in coordinate with department leadership.
- Ensure Beeck Center initiatives and project content are successfully communicated to team and key stakeholders.
- Plan, edit and write content for internal communications mediums.
- Ensure internal communications are aligned with external communication messages and brand identity.
- Advise senior staff and fellows on their personal digital properties, establishing best practices for amplifying work.
Event Coordination – 10%
- Collaborate with project teams on event content, run-of-show, and guest speakers
- Advise event host on event language and invitations
- Develop plan for pre and post-event promotion and marketing
- Manage event elements including drafting or editing remarks and team briefings, updating website, and uploading recording to Youtube.
- Coordinate event setup and take down or any virtual responsibilities with event host, project team, and Beeck Center staff
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, or similar degree. Comparable work experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- 3-6 years of work experience in digital communications, social media, and/or marketing in a nonprofit organization, private sector company, foundation, or government agency.
- Experience in an organization with designated digital communications resources.
- Creativity and enthusiasm for branded, high-quality, well-designed communications.
- Experience producing and distributing digital content, including web development, and developing a brand’s unique voice.
- Strong writing skills and confidence when drafting and editing quickly and accurately.
- Ability to motivate colleagues to execute strong digital content.
- Belief in the Beeck Center’s mission to improve systems that are the foundation for daily life, using data, design, technology, and policy as instruments for equitable societal change.
- Understanding of differentiated creative and innovative solutions including graphic design, digital campaigns, email marketing, content creation, and relationship building.
- Natural tendency to be nimble, adaptable, collaborative, approachable, and calm and collected under pressure.
- Understanding of metrics to measure the success of digital inputs.
- Ability to work collaboratively, both as part of a managed team and as a driver of good ideas.
Ideal candidates for this position will also have:
- Visual design skills
- Adobe Creative Suite experience, specifically InDesign
- WordPress experience
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Digital Communications + Marketing Manager is a full-time, two-year term. The salary band for this position is $65,000-$80,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits.
- (standard resume, no cover letter needed)
DEADLINE: Both portions of the application must be submitted by 11:59pm ET on Monday, November 7 for consideration.
Timeline of Key Recruitment Dates
- Deadline for Applications: Monday, November 7th, 11:59pm ET
- First Round Interviews (1-hour): November 15-18
- Final Interviews (1-hours, with exercise to read in advance): Nov 30-Dec 2
- Preferred Start Date: Tuesday, January 17
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development, and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.