No longer accepting applications
Beeck Center Program Specialists are hired to advise on specific initiatives within Beeck Center projects and coordinate within project teams to deliver programming efficiently and effectively. Our Program Specialists oversee progress toward program deliverables while providing specialized support to technical assistance, resource development, or network-building efforts. Program Specialists are critical for deepening the impact of the Beeck Center’s programs that equitably deliver impact at scale by supporting the use of public interest technology for social good.
The Digital Service Network’s (DSN) mission is to support governments that use data, design, and technology to deliver services. This has attracted a wide array of members, ranging from senior officials in formalized digital service teams, to government employees who work in data, design, information technology, and general management services. Our goals are to promote the increased efficiency and effectiveness of investment in government digital services and convene practitioners to scale best practices in digital service delivery. The DSN library is an example of a growing and trusted source for data, design, and technology resources.
The Beeck Center is seeking a Government UXR Program Specialist to assist with the growth, development, public good coordination, and management of the existing “User Research and Experience” community of practice. In addition to managing the user research community of practice, the Government UXR Program Specialist will coordinate resources and public goods for the Digital Services Library, upskilling network members in user-centered design, and will provide programming and trainings as needed to project teams and network members at the Beeck Center outside of the DSN.
Before submitting your application to Georgetown University, visit the Beeck Center’s careers page to learn more about the recruiting process, timeline and supplemental application requirements.
The Government UXR Program Specialist will be a member of the DSN project team and report directly to the Director of the Digital Services Network and Beeck Fellow Kirsten Wyatt and work closely with other project team members including researchers and community managers. This role does not include direct reports and requires extensive communication with external partners via the DSN’s user research and experience group.
The Government UXR Program Specialist will also have the opportunity to partner and collaborate with other Beeck Center project leads and staff. The Beeck Center staff provides operations, communications, and student engagement support to all project teams.
Distributed Working Environment
The Beeck Center operates as a distributed team, with some team members working remotely and others working in-person in our Washington, DC offices. A distributed team means there will be heavy reliance on asynchronous communication channels such as Slack, Asana, and Gmail while also having many meetings fully virtual or hybrid to include remote employees, using Zoom.
This position has been designated as Remote. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position’s mode of work designation. Complete details about Georgetown University’s mode of work designations for staff and AAP positions can be found on the Department of Human Resources website: https://hr.georgetown.edu/mode-of-work-designation.
The Beeck Center has two office spaces in Washington, D.C.: one on Georgetown University’s Main Campus and a second downtown on Georgetown’s Capitol Campus. We prioritize spending time in person with our student analysts for collaboration and career development as well as building relations across the various other centers on campus. Remote employees will have the opportunity to and are expected to travel up to 10% for team retreats, conferences and in-person work weeks.
Resource Development & Coordination (40%)
- Manage UXR content collection and curation for the Digital Service Library
- Facilitate rapid response content creation; work with Researcher to develop broader research projects on UX/UXR
- Publish topical short form recaps, articles, analysis, and case studies from engagement with the Digital Service Network community
- Coordinate UXR content section for monthly newsletter; develop quarterly round-up newsletter of UXR resources and content
Facilitation & Programming Management (40%)
- Manage and grow the UXR subnetwork including facilitation of monthly meetings and programming
- Develop and focus programming for local, state, and provincial governments
- Oversee virtual and/or in person convenings as needed
Cross-Beeck Center Coordination (20%)
- Act as a liaison for UX-related or digital service programming opportunities across Beeck Center projects
- Develop DSN partnerships with other public sector organizations focused on human centered design, user research and experience, community engagement, digital communications, etc.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Bachelor’s degree, and 5-7 years of experience, each year of work experience may be substituted for each year of education required.
- 5+ years of experience in technical product management, public service delivery, technical service design, or related fields. Experience in or exposure to advanced leadership is preferred.
- Experience managing or coordinating junior-level staff and/or students
- Experience in areas of human-centered design, open source software development, open data, data management, and other relevant topics
- Experience planning and managing complex projects and maintaining relationships across internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision to meet deadlines and produce high-quality results
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated capacity to work directly with technologists and software developers and translate technical concepts across audiences
Ideal candidates for this position will also have:
- Familiarity with legal and political processes involving state, local, and/or provincial- level public service delivery and/or data
- Enthusiasm to mentor and support a team and develop their own leadership and communication skills
- Enthusiasm to support governments as they aim to better serve the public
- Enthusiasm and willingness to work in a university environment and leverage its strengths to support public service
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Government UX Program Specialist role has a 24-month term ending in late 2025. The salary for this position is $90,000-$105,000 annually, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Before You Apply
Please visit the Beeck Center’s careers page (https://beeckcenter.georgetown.edu/jobs/) to review more details regarding the recruitment timeline and supplemental questions, which may be helpful to guide your Georgetown application.
Step 1: Beeck Center Supplemental Application (contact details, three (3) short-answer questions, interview logistical questions)
Step 2: Georgetown University Application (standard resume — no cover letter needed)
DEADLINE: The deadline for this application in order to be considered is Monday, September 18.
Timeline of Key Recruitment Dates
Deadline for Applications: Monday, September 18
First Round Interviews: Monday, September 25 – Thursday, September 28
Final Interviews: Monday, October 2 – Thursday, October 5
Preferred Start Date: Monday, October 30
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.