The Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation is looking for a Director of Communications + Marketing to promote our work and increase the profile of the Center with policymakers, advocacy organizations, businesses, and philanthropic organizations. This role is equal parts market positioning, strategy, and execution of the Center’s communications as well as helping raise awareness around our programs with key stakeholders and partners to achieve lasting collective impact.
The Beeck Center strongly encourages all people to apply (please circulate widely), especially those who hold the following intersecting identities: Black, Native or Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, non-binary, poor or working class, persons living with disabilities, neurodivergent, young, undocumented, speak English as a second language, and others with lived experience in overlooked and/or underestimated communities.
If you have any questions about this position’s objectives, requirements, and/or language used in this job description, please email email@example.com.
What we do. When our institutions are effective, we trust that they will support our communities, especially when people need them most. We reimagine and design systems using cutting-edge tools and practices. Our team focuses on solving hard problems. We work on practical solutions like helping civic leaders better leverage data in their work, using technology tools to change how Congress interacts with its constituents, and making it easier for families to apply for public benefits like SNAP, housing assistance, and unemployment insurance. We also help policymakers use data and analytics for more effective and evidence-based policies, using human-centered principles to ensure the systems are designed to keep people at the forefront.
Who we are. Situated at Georgetown University, we are a team of experts with experience in data science, analytics, software development, human-centered design, and policy. We come from executive roles in all levels of government, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, and academia. Students work alongside us, training to become the next wave of talented leaders.
How we do it. We identify problem-solvers who are addressing global challenges, document their approaches, and build action-oriented networks so we can support one another as we implement and share what works at scale.
Role + Responsibilities
The Director of Communications + Marketing will enhance our work, especially as it relates to using tools such as data, design, and technology for better outcomes in society. We are looking for an experienced professional who is committed to learning about what we do, cares about social impact, and can use modern tools to reach our most important audiences. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial, strategic, and a doer. We need someone who knows how to develop a strategy to market the work and raise the brand of the Center, work with partners for cross-promotion, and drive communications across a number of platforms and channels. The Director of Communications + Marketing will be confident serving as a trusted communications architect and storyteller for the organization.
The Director will lead the strategic process to refine and implement our communications plan, working closely with the Executive Director. The ideal candidate:
- Has a strong track record in social sector marketing and/or communications
- Can translate complex and wonky work into engaging content
- Has worked in a growing organization
- Can drive and execute a strategy
This position will supervise 1-2 communications staff including a Storyteller-in-Residence and will also work closely with our Student Analysts. As such, the Director should have management experience and be an inclusive leader and coach for other team members as well as a strong team communicator.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications + Marketing will integrate strategic communications into our day-to-day operations and into the execution of our overall organizational roadmap.
Marketing Strategy (30%)
- Define the best ways to amplify the brand of the Center and ultimately engage the right audiences with our project work and content. Work with the Executive Director and program leads to design and develop a marketing strategy including audiences to influence and approaches for each.
- Develop and implement engagement strategy to reach our target audiences. This includes translating our work for audiences using audio, video, and other formats, as well as creatively leveraging social media.
- Lead, strengthen and grow our digital presence through our website and social media by cultivating and managing exceptional talent to execute the communications that will be critical to success.
- Creatively advance our mission with the aim of raising the Beeck Center’s profile and positioning senior leadership and fellows to promote the center’s work.
- Provide strategic marketing and communications insights and support for the buildout of program areas as staffing needs to meet those functions are defined and filled.
Communications Strategy (40%)
- Lead message strategy and development for the center’s range of audiences, who uniquely span from lay understanding to deep knowledge of the social impact world.
- Provide overall direction, guidance and support for all communications activities through writing, editing, conducting media outreach and partner engagement, and/or taking on other hands-on roles as needed to communicate our work.
- Develop systems and processes to ensure communications are integrated and aligned to Beeck Center leaders’ work in operational planning to execute strategy.
- Pitch media outlets, field inquiries, and develop and maintain relationships with journalists, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers.
- Manage the drafting and content for digital properties and all press statements and releases, media advisories, talking points, and background memos.
- Refine the Center’s style guide, publications guidance, and social media posting guides.
Execute and Evangelize (30%)
- Coordinate with partners to ensure the Center maximizes partner support to be successful in media outreach and communications, to increase visibility and achieve business objectives.
- Provide strategic insights, coordination, and support for Beeck Center events and convenings.
- Identify and train Beeck Center leadership and fellows for press events and interviews.
- Create opportunities to advance Beeck Center objectives through traditional and digital channels.
- Ensure consistent messaging across all Beeck Center communications and platforms.
- Ensure that Beeck Center’s message and brand reflect the innovative and fresh approach we take to problem solving.
- Directly manage budget and resources for communications and marketing.
Candidates for this position must have:
- At least 12 years of experience including 5 years in a management position in a nonprofit organization, private sector company, foundation, and/or government agency.
- Belief in the Beeck Center’s mission to bring lasting change to the world by scaling social impact solutions for people.
- Understanding of the public interest technology, civic technology, or data for good space, including trends and leading collaborators. Ideally, would also have contacts and media connections in the space.
- Demonstrated ability to craft and implement strategic plans for communications and marketing.
- Demonstrated leadership creating and executing strategic communications across multiple online platforms.
- Confident and quick writing and editorial acumen, adept at both producing and directing the crafting of top-quality content.
- Adept at managing up and down, balancing management and strategy with execution.
- Experience managing direct reports.
- Experience initiating creative and innovative solutions – including digital advertising, email marketing, content creation, influencer engagement, blogger relations, media management, and relationship building.
- Experience leveraging digital and social advertising and effectively managing promotional resources to build engagement.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a natural tendency to be nimble, adaptable, collaborative, approachable, as well as calm and collected under pressure.
- Understanding of reporting, metrics, and analytics with a finely-tuned sense for demonstrating value and providing actionable insights.
- Previous experience recruiting, selecting, and managing design, website, and other contractors.
- Experience coaching principals and senior leaders to serve as spokespeople.
- Familiarity with general project management tools such as Asana and Slack as well as communication-specific tools such as Hootsuite, and creative tools like Adobe Creative Cloud and InDesign.
Ideal candidates for this position will also have:
- Video editing experience
- Visual design skills
- Adobe Creative Suite experience
- Experience managing and working with students
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Director of Communications + Marketing is a full-time, one-year term. The location is based in Washington, D.C. or remote. The salary band for this position is $110,000-$140,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits.
Get to Know Us Better Before Applying
In an effort to reduce bias in the hiring process, we will not be meeting with potential candidates for “coffee chats.” However, to make all of our materials accessible to all applicants, we encourage you to:
- Hear about who we are from our team
- Read our core values – this underpins how we work and operate as a team
- Listen to a past conversation around what we do.
(~30 minutes; brief form with 1) contact details, 2) three short-answer questions, 3) interview logistical questions)
(~10 minutes; standard resume, no cover letter needed)
DEADLINE: Both portions of the application must be submitted by March 14, 2021 11:59pm ET for consideration.
Timeline of Key Recruitment Dates
- Deadline for Applications: March 14, 2021 11:59pm ET
- First Round Interviews (virtual – 1 hour): March 15 – 24, 2021
- Final Interviews (1-1.5 hours, with exercise case to complete in advance): April 5 – 8, 2021
- Preferred Start Date: Late April or Early May 2021
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
The Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation at Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.