Are you a creative and dynamic communicator with a passion for making a positive societal impact? The Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation at Georgetown University is seeking a Communications + Marketing Associate to join the communications team. In this role, you will play a key part in supporting the Beeck Center’s mission to improve the fundamental systems that shape our daily lives, using data, design, technology, and policy as catalysts for equitable societal change.
As the Communications + Marketing Associate, you will be at the forefront of the Beeck Center’s efforts to tell compelling stories and facilitate day-to-day communication activities. The Beeck Center is seeking an innovative and collaborative go-getter who can bring a digital-first approach to the communications operations, enhancing Beeck’s brand, articulating the work we do, and advancing the mission.
Is this the right opportunity for you? If you have a background in marketing, communications, social media, or journalism, and if you’re passionate about developing a brand’s voice, creatively refining content for publication, and orchestrating social media campaigns to support a broader communications strategy, then this role might be your perfect fit. You should be adept at asking the right questions, translating content for a diverse audience, crafting impactful headlines.
Join the Beeck Center team in driving change and making a positive impact on society through the power of effective communication and marketing. If you’re ready to take your career to the next level and be a core contributor to the Beeck Center’s mission, we’d love to hear from you.
Before submitting your application to Georgetown University, visit the Beeck Center’s careers page to learn more about the recruiting process, timeline and supplemental application requirements.
The Communications + Marketing Associate will report to Jessica Yabsley, Director of Communications, and work with Ashleigh Fryer, Deputy Director of Content, fellows, student analysts, and staff teams. The Associate will play a critical role in the communications, publication and outreach capacities by driving brand performance. This role will be responsible for several key goals including creating and driving a digital strategy that optimizes the Beeck Center’s online presence, creating appealing digital content, leveraging social media to drive engagement of key audiences through ideas and content, and supporting the ability to integrate strategic communications across all verticals of Beeck’s work.
Distributed Working Environment
This position has been designated as Hybrid. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position’s mode of work designation. Complete details about Georgetown University’s mode of work designations for staff and AAP positions can be found on the Department of Human Resources website.
With the hybrid designation, this role will be expected to work two (2) days per week from the Beeck Center’s two office spaces in Washington, D.C.: one on Georgetown University’s Main Campus and a second downtown on Georgetown’s Capitol Campus. We prioritize spending time in person with our student analysts for collaboration and career development as well as building relations across the various other centers on campus.
The Beeck Center operates as a distributed team, with some team members working remotely and others working in-person in our Washington, D.C. offices. A distributed team means there will be heavy reliance on asynchronous communication channels such as Slack, Asana, and email while also having many meetings fully virtual or hybrid to include remote employees, using Zoom.
Digital Communications + Marketing Planning (50%)
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and Deputy Director of Content to develop and implement the Beeck Center’s digital campaigns.
- Oversee the day-to-day functioning of the center’s digital properties including email communications, social media properties, website, and any other online communications.
- Design innovative campaigns to bring awareness to the Beeck Center’s products such as white paper, reports, guides, blog and other content.
- Participate in organizational and department goal setting and track progress towards goals for engagement and growth using project tools like Asana.
- Update content on the Beeck Center website using WordPress.
- Manage the Beeck Center email lists on a CRM.
Digital Content Curation (40%)
- Creatively generate and aggregate content to distribute across digital properties.
- Create and repurpose digestible and accessible content, and work with staff to maintain an editorial and social media content calendar.
- Work with our public relations firm to maintain press clippings and coverage reports of the Beeck Center, fellows, and wider public interest technology space.
- Grow the Beeck Center’s digital followers, assist in marketing Beeck Center products, manage analytics and metrics, and establish and control a consistent digital voice for the Beeck Center.
Internal Communications (10%)
- Establish an internal communications strategy in coordination with department leadership.
- Ensure Beeck Center initiatives and project content are successfully communicated to team and key stakeholders.
- Plan, edit and write content for internal communications mediums.
- Ensure internal communications are aligned with external communication messages and brand identity.
- Advise senior staff and fellows on their personal digital properties, establishing best practices for amplifying work
Candidates for this position must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, or similar degree. Comparable work experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- 2 years work experience in digital communications, social media, and/or marketing in a nonprofit organization, private sector company, foundation, or government agency.
- Experience in an organization with designated digital communications resources producing and distributing digital content, including web development, and developing a brand’s unique voice
- Creativity and enthusiasm for branded, high quality, well designed communications.
- Strong writing skills and confidence when drafting and editing quickly and accurately.
- A strong interest in the Beeck Center’s mission to improve systems that are the foundation for daily life, using data, design, technology, and policy as instruments for equitable societal change.
- Understanding of differentiated creative and innovative solutions including graphic design, digital campaigns, email marketing, content creation, and relationship building.
- Natural tendency to be nimble, adaptable, collaborative, approachable, and calm and collected under pressure.
- Understanding of metrics to measure success of digital inputs.
- A strong team player, with the ability to work collaboratively, both as part of a managed team and as a driver of good ideas, and to motivate colleagues to execute strong digital content.
Ideal candidates for this position will also have:
- Experience using X (formley Twitter) Linkedin, Instagram,
- Adobe Creative Suite experience, specifically InDesign and Canva
- WordPress experience
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Hoostuite, Cision or similar platforms
- Experience using project management tools like Asana and Slack
Salary, Benefits, and Employment Term
The Communications + Marketing Associate is a full-time, two-year term. The salary band for this position is $50,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Before You Apply
Please visit the Beeck Center’s careers page to review more details regarding the recruitment timeline and supplemental questions, which may be helpful to guide your Georgetown application.
Step 1: Beeck Center Supplemental Application (contact details, four (4) short-answer questions, interview logistical questions)
Step 2: Georgetown University Application (standard resume — no cover letter needed)
DEADLINE: The deadline for this application in order to be considered is Monday, March 4, 2024.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.